Monday, March 12, 2007

new identity


Remember my previous blog where I mentioned about having to attend a dreadful workshop on presentation skills, blah, blah. Well, I did and I survived, and with a new acquired skill.

On Friday, I had to get ready earlier than usual to beat the jam as the workshop was at JW Marriot. I swung by my friend place to give her a lift to work at 6.45am and slowly made our way down town. All in all, I was at the Marriot at 7.30am, a tad too early actually but better early than ridiculously late (one participant arrived an hour and a half late from the traffic).

The class only had 7 participants mostly from the PR and Marketing department. I, of course had to choose to sit further back; didn't want to appear to Eager Beaver, but in a class of 7 how lah...Anyway chose to sit as distant as possible.

Our trainer was an American guy who was extremely energetic to a point where all his antics and mannerism reminded me so much of Steve Carrell (40 Year Old Virgin). Instead of the usually presentation with slides and slides and more slides via Powerpoint, he made us role play the various posture/identity that was showcased. It was fun.

Anyway, the only thing that was lacklustre was lunch at My Thai at Shook! that was organised by the The Asia Business Forum. We had a mango salad (not great), tom yam (so-so), a thai fried rice (worst of the lot) and a dessert of sago and 2 honeydew melon 'balls' in coconut milk (not bad). We were definitely expecting a few more dishes but we disappointed. The workshop cost over RM1K but lunch was less than RM50 per person. Sad. Scrupulous and totally unprofessional. Even the trainer was surprised.

All in all, if you set the disapointing lunch aside, it was definitely a day well spent at a workshop. New skill, new thrill...

No comments: