Thursday, March 29, 2007

lam mee lunch



Still nursing an awful cough and the lack of voice, my decision for lunch was tough; can't have cafeteria food coz its too oily and not healthy usually, don't feel like fast food coz mostly deepfried patties and can't keep away from those fries and going home for lunch was just not an attractive notion today. So off we went to the Curve for lunch. Since they have multitudes of makan shops, surely we can locate one that is nutritious and slightly appetising (quite an oxymoron isn't it).

After making the rounds and agreeing (finally!), we ended up at one of our usual lunch joints, Little Penang Cafe. Familiar with their menu, I was debating over the Acar Fish set that comes with pucuk paku, either a ju hu char (some cuttlefish dish) or lobak (5 spiced meat wrapped in beancurd sheet) and of course the acar fish served with rice or the Lam mee. For a split moment the fish set did beat the lam mee on the nutritious value but the thought of the 'kenyang' (too full for lunch) factor, I gave that a miss and settled instead for the lam mee and a 'pat poh'(eight treasure) herbal tea. My colleague had a curry mee and the herbal tea.

Service as usual was very prompt, so prompt that the food came before the drinks. When I first saw my dish, I thought something was amiss. The soup/gravy was a little diluted/watery; isn't lam mee supposed to be soaked in slightly thickened broth. Tasted more like a chicken noodle soup rather than lam mee... maybe I have got the dishes mistaken??!! Anyway couldn't finish it. I think I managed only to put away slightly less than half. Disappointed. The herbal tea, on the other hand, was good.

My colleague's curry mee looks quite yummy with the rich coconut milk. But should I have eaten that instead, my voice will probably take a longer time to recover. I refrained.

But I have to add that the accompanying sambal for my lam mee was scrumptious. Spicy. My sister will like it too. Spicy sisters!

So, know I have started to ponder on my next meal coz I am kinda hungry. Maybe for dinner I can make pizza at home... then again how nutritious is that. Maybe not.

No comments: