Tuesday, October 9, 2007

priceless

Rushing from the office to an appointment in the late afternoon yesterday was quite a struggle with the traffic building up and the sudden rain. Where I was headed to was not necessary the easiest place to park (strangely they don't allow visitors to park in the building-- go figure) but managed to get a spot at the open car park adjacent to the building.

I, for all those who know me, find inconvenience (aka using the umbrella) inconvenient. Hence I was debating whether to get wet or use the cumbersome rain shield. I gave in to the latter as it was raining harder by the second.

As I had to juggle between holding on to the gi-normous golf umbrella (courtesy of YTL) whilst rummaging my bag to pay for parking, I saw a pretty decent looking guy dashing out of his car to pay for his parking sans an umbrella.

Ok, lets pause for a moment-- what would a NICE, DECENT, WELL-BROUGHT UP INDIVIDUAL do in a similar scenario ... let's read on to find out.

As soon as I paid my parking and pretended to meddle with my phone, I offered the guy to share the umbrella if he was headed the same direction. The look on his face was PRICELESS. He was somewhat shy and a little apprehensive like he didn't know how to respond. When he finally came to his senses he jumped at the chance and before long we were sharing the umbrella.

What started off with a strange vibe was immediately broken by the customary questions about where we were going, blah, blah... midway, he decided to take over the reins and hold the umbrella instead... hey who said chivalry was DEAD!

Soon after we arrived at our destination and parted ways. I was happy to have done this very small deed to someone in need and I suppose he was sincere with his words of gratitude.

Moral of the story :

1) Small deeds make the world a much better place

His facial expression just said it all... People are just not friendly or helpful anymore. We have become selfish and totally ignorant. Sad reality.

2) Rihana's UMBRELLA rocks!!!

Pay it forward.

2 comments:

Bri said...

That's very nice of you... but seriously, has his looks got anything to do with it? Ha ha...just kidding!!

LazySuzy said...

Definitely a YES coz if he was sloppy and weird looking then I probably wouldn't have offered to share.